Saturday, July 3, 2010
After I saw a very disturbing video on youtube, I decided to make my own moisturising hair product. After a long search, I found different vlogs on youtube talking about whipped Shea butter. I decided to give it a try and of course I'd put some of my favourite oil in it... Castor oil! I tell you guys, the consistency is great and it is my very own unique recipe!!!
Here it is:
6 tbsp Shea butter
2 tbsp castor oil
2 tbsp almond oil
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
(add a few drops of essential oils in it to make it smell better)
Simply melt the Shea butter au bain-marie and pour in the oils. Then whip it for 10-15 min until it has the consistency of cake frosting. Then let it set overnight, et voila!! Your own moisturising hair cream!!!
Saturday, June 26, 2010
I already have a separate page about castor oil, but I still want to mention the benefits of castor oil if you apply it on your lashes.
Castor oil will lengthen and thicken your lashes if you apply it 2 times a day (morning and evening) on your lashes! How? Simply apply it like I said, every morning and evening before you go to bed on your lashes using an old mascara brush or a swab et voila!
You can also apply it to your eyebrows to fill up empty spaces.
Since I know that wax is pretty expensive I wanted to try a homemade recipe. This is really simple and it only needs 3 ingredients.
- 2 cups of sugar (it doesn't matter witch one, brown or white)
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice (fresh or concentrated, if using fresh, make sure the seeds and pulp are gone)
- 1/4 cup of water (distilled or tap water)
- Sugar thermometer (optional)
- Cotton strips (cut out an old t-shirt or sheet)
- microwave save jar
1 Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan.
2 Start with heating the mix up on low temperature, until the bubbles start showing up.
3 Using the thermometer, make sure the mix has reached 240F. When this happens, take it off and pour into the previously prepared container. Let the mix cool down.
4 Make sure the mix has cooled enough so it doesn't burn you.
5 Using the dull knife, spread the mix in the direction of hair growth.
6 Place the cotton strip, press with your fingers a bit and then pull in the direction opposite the hair growth.
To wash off, use warm water and soap, that will do it.
Homemade wax tips:
Make sure the hairs are 1/4 inch or so long. If too short, you won't be able to pull them out.
This mix can be reused if you haven't used it all up the first time. Simply keep in the refrigerator and then reheat in the microwave when you want to use it.
Finally, to help pull out the hairs more easily, take a shower beforehand and use a body scrub to remove extra dead skin that sugar might adhere to.
I found another great recipe online! This is a homemade recipe for tendskin. Tendskin is a product against razor bumps and it really works, although it is very expensive ($20 - $50). Well now we can all make it at home for a fraction of the costs!!!
What you will need:
* 26 Uncoated Aspirin
* 5.5oz 70% Alcohol
* 2.5oz Witch Hazel
* 1 Measuring Cup/bottle
* 2 Bottles used to shake mixtures
* 1 8oz or more Spray Bottle/Container to keep finished product
What you need to do:
1. Pour the alcohol into one bottle.
2. Drop 18 uncoated aspirins into the alcohol. Cap bottle and shake.
3. Pour the witch hazel into the second bottle.
4. Drop 8 uncoated aspirins into the witch hazel. Cap bottle and shake.
5. Wait a while (30 minutes to a whole day) for the aspirins to dissolve in the liquids. Shake periodically to help dissolve aspirin and mix. Note: Not all of the aspirin will dissolve but that is okay.
6. Now combine both the alcohol and witch hazel mixtures together into one bottle. Make sure you shake it up before you pour them out so you also get the aspirin residue into the new bottle.
Directions: Use 1-2 times a day. Reduce usage if you experience dryness or flaking or irritation. DO NOT USE IF YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO ASPIRIN. Make sure you shake it well before each use.
While Muslims fast in observation of one of the five pillars of Islam, the act of fasting itself is also extremely therapeutic and offers a myriad of health benefits.
O you who believe, fasting is prescribed for you as it was prescribed for those who were before you, in order that you may learn taqwa (piety) (Holy Quran, Surat Al-Baqarah 2:183).
Why Fasting Helps:
When your body stops digesting for a period of time, it is able to focus on its other processes better.
Processes that have been neglected or slow to improve before will accelerate when you fast.
The speed of healing and cleansing picks up. Thus, the rate of body detoxification improves markedly when fasting.
When it is in fast-mode, the body will scavenge for fatty deposits and dead/damaged tissues – which includes abnormalities like scar tissue, tumors, abcesses, and old wounds, and these are burned off for energy or carried away as waste.
Fasting is also a natural function. In the wild, injured animals will fast and only start eating when their wounds have healed.
In fact, you probably have fasted a few times in your life without even realising it!
Remember when you fell sick and had no appetite whatsoever? This was your body’s way of taking care of itself. Without food to digest, your body can better focus its energies on fighting the infection and recover more quickly.
Effects of fasting:
- Its common for pimples and other skin conditions like eczema to clear up faster when a person fasts.
- Liver and kidney functions are improved which aids in the body’s detoxification. These positive effects actually carry on even after the fast has ceased.
- Fasting relieves the pain of rheumatoid arthritis and lupus. It also relieves the swelling of the joints, bloatedness, and water retention.
- If you’re trying to quit a bad habit, fasting makes it easier to overcome unhealthy addictions to alcohol, caffeine, and nicotine.
What to expect while fasting:
Be prepared for some discomfort when you first start your fast. You may experience withdrawal symptoms such as headaches.
When this happens, try resting in a dark room and closing your eyes if the headache is too severe. Use essential oils and aromatheraphy to relax yourself.
If you stick with it for the first few days, fasting gets much easier and the withdrawal symptoms ease. Fasting is one of those things that require some short-term discomfort for long-term good health.
How to fast:
There are numerous ways to fast and it is entirely up to you. You can take it easy by dry fasting during the day and then end it with a small and healthy dinner. If you have the will, you can go on a 24 hour dry fast (no food or water) or a 24 hour water fast and then breaking it with a light and nutritious meal. You should repeat this fast for thirty days at least to reap the full benefits because your body will heal and detox its organs in stages.
If you’re trying to lose weight, incorporate some exercise during the day, especially during periods when your energy levels are at its lowest. Exercising during a fast will boost your blood circulation, relieve headaches, and burn fat and remove toxins faster. You’ll also find yourself rising out of the low-energy slump after 10-15 minutes of exercise.
- If you’re looking for the best results, try a dry fast (no food and water) instead of a liquid fast (water or juice). One day of dry fasting is equivalent to 3 days of liquid fasting.
- Break your fast gently with healthy foods that are easy to digest. Fruits and vegetables should be included. You’ll be surprised how quickly you feel full with less food. If you stuff yourself when breaking a fast you’ll feel sluggish and overfed for several hours afterwards. Remember the feeling and you’ll naturally avoid over-eating next time.
- Try not to advertise the fact that you’re fasting. Once you do, you’ll feel obliged to do it because of the people you have told. Some people you tell will also feel the need to challenge your decision. This is unnecessary stress. Your resolve and willpower to fast will be stronger if your fast remains a private matter.
- And lastly, do not fast if your health is compromised by serious illnesses, pregnancy, menstruation, or if you’re nursing.
Further reading: Healing Through Fasting
Thursday, June 24, 2010
I want to do my very first post about something that will save you hundreds of pounds!!! Curious? Well, I found a very very very good home remedy to whiten your teeth instantly! I tried it today and it is amazing! And the best thing is that it is almost free because you probably have most of the ingredients already in your home!
You only need 2 ingredients:
- 2 tsp of Bicarbonate of Soda (Baking Soda)
- 2-3 tsp of Hydrogen peroxide
Drop 2 or 3 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide in the baking soda and make a paste, it must be the consistency of toothpaste so it takes a little practice.
Brush your teeth for 1 minute with the paste as you would do with your normal toothpaste and let the paste stay on your teeth for a minimum of 1 minute (more is better). Do not swallow the mixture!
After you finish brushing with the paste, rinse your mouth and brush your teeth again with your normal toothpaste to get rid of the taste (it is really nasty!) and the peroxide.
You shouldn't brush with this mixture more than once per week.
Voila, That's it!